Water is significantly important in all aspects of life. Do you wonder why you struggle to sleep? It could be dehydration insomnia!
Below are 10 ways dehydration can affect your sleep.
1. Being even mildly dehydrated can cause lack of sleep
Stay hydrated a couple of hours before bed or it could lead to interrupted sleep .
2. Drink non-caffeinated fluids to ensure optimum sleep time
Throughout the day steer clear of caffeine to improve hydration .
3. Practice spreading out your water intake during the day
This maximises your odds of sleeping peacefully at night .
4. You lose fluids while sleeping
This is caused by mouth snoring and drinking alcohol prior to bedtime, so drink plenty of water during the day .
5. Don't hydrate too close to bedtime
This could cause multiple bathroom trips .
6. Being in a dry environment can dehydrate you sooner
Dry spaces like bedrooms contain limited cool air and people lose sleep due to less moisture in the air .
7. Poor hydration at night affects performance the next day
Being dehydrated during the night can compromise your alertness, energy, and cognitive performance the following day .
8. A lack of pre-sleep fluids can lead to nocturnal leg cramps that may keep you awake
In addition to the frustration of fragmented sleep, being dehydrated during the night can cause painful and uncomfortable muscular spasms in your legs .
9. Dehydration insomnia symptoms: Chronic dehydration can disturb the body's natural rhythms and doesn’t make you feel tired when you should
Dehydration can affect the sleep hormone, melatonin. If you’re chronically dehydrated it can reduce your levels of essential amino acids which are needed to produce melatonin, throwing off your circadian rhythm and make it difficult for you to stay asleep.
It can also create fatigue triggering exhaustion but doesn’t enable you to sleep. This is due to your body being incapable of flushing out toxins that build up in your blood .
10. Dehydration also commonly results in skin, eye and mouth problems
Due to lack of hydration bodily surfaces stop receiving adequate lubrication, you'll often feel sore or itchy and you'll be more vulnerable to minor infections, all factors that can lead to trouble falling asleep. As membranes around the brain become too dry, you may also experience headaches .
Purchase the Odyssey Bottled Water Cooler. Having an Odyssey in your home can remind you to hydrate throughout the day for optimum shut-eye.
See our entire range of efficient water coolers via Aqua Cooler Direct.
1. Healthline. (2018). 17 Proven Tips to Sleep Better at Night. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/17-tips-to-sleep-better#section5.
2. Sleepfoundation.org. (2018). The Connection Between Hydration and Sleep. https://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-topics/the-connection-between-hydration-and-sleep.
3. Healthstatus.com. (2018). The Connection Between Hydration and Sleep – HealthStatus. https://www.healthstatus.com/health_blog/sleep-2/connection-hydration-sleep/#ixzz5WDGmrGZJ.